Find high-performance outdoor clothing, gear, and accessories that make wise and responsible use of resources. See more Mountain Gear Sustainable Pick items.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Music to Slog By

What was running through Vince Anderson's head as he neared the summit of Nanga Parbat on Day Six of his alpine-style ascent of the Rupal Face? According to Vince, it was the dulcet strains of the seminal Norwegian Black Metal band Darkthrone. You can listen to samples here. I've had some of the same sounds pounding in my head at altitude. I just didn't realize they were music. On the other hand, I think I'd have preferred Darkthrone to the song that played an endless loop in my head last summer during long training runs for the Leadville 100. The song was "Frosty the Snowman."

No comments: