Find high-performance outdoor clothing, gear, and accessories that make wise and responsible use of resources. See more Mountain Gear Sustainable Pick items.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

More Fun with Climbing Communication

So, my wife and I were climbing in Joshua Tree with some friends, and I ended up on top of a pinnacle as she was finishing a different climb on the same spire. As she struggled a bit with the crux moves, about 20 feet below me, she muttered, "Maybe I should just take up golf." Now, it was quite windy on top, and what I heard was, "Maybe I should just take a fall." I thought she might be considering jumping off to clear her head. This was the exchange that resulted:

She: "Maybe I should just take up golf."
Me: "Maybe you should, honey."
[Slight pause]
She: "Maybe you should shut the fuck up!"
Me [puzzled and hurt]: "What did I say?"

Outcome: She finished the climb with no problem, and we all had a good laugh. I'm a lucky guy, in fact, because my wife and I climb (and communicate) quite well together.

For those who missed it, check out the story of this unhappy couple's poor climbing communication.

No comments: